Next Tuesday (November 16), the BioLounge space on the first floor of BioLabs will reopen, providing free coffee to Harvard students, researchers, and staff. COVID precautions, such as wearing face masks and physically distancing while eating or drinking, will remain in place.
BioLounge’s hours of operation will be weekdays (Monday-Friday) from 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM.
As part of the reopening, volunteer baristas Sam Carlson (D’Souza Lab) and Kevin Dalton (Hekstra Lab) will be offering tutorials on how to make the perfect brew. These “how tos” will enable everyone to make their coffee beverage of choice. The baristas will be onsite in the BioLounge from 2:00pm to 3:30pm on reopening day, November 16.
BioLounge has been a gathering place for the life sciences community since its grand opening in 2017. Its amenities include an espresso machine, free coffee beans, and couches where people in the life sciences community can socialize. The space closed down in 2020 due to the pandemic.
The MCB department is excited to make the space and free coffee available to the community again but asks that everyone observe the following campus-wide guidelines:
- Face coverings may only be removed when attendees are actively eating and drinking.
- Face coverings must always be worn by all guests when in any common areas of the venue, including restrooms, entryways, and lobbies.
- While eating and drinking, unvaccinated persons should continue to practice physical distancing while unmasked.
- To reduce risks at indoor gatherings, remember to socialize thoughtfully, using approaches like the “Quick Sip Rule” and “Consume and Cover.”
- Hand hygiene supplies will be provided. Everyone is expected to sanitize their hands before handling the equipment and food.
For more details on the precautions, please consult Harvard’s Guidance for On-Campus Activities and the section concerning indoor activities with eating and drinking.
Hope to see you around BioLounge soon, and please enjoy the free coffee!
by Sam Carlson and Kevin Dalton